How to treat burns and remove foreign bodies in Dachshunds

Dachshunds, like other dogs, can swallow foreign objects or be burned.


First-degree burns
Second-degree burns
Third-degree burns
What to do in the event of a burn
Foreign bodies

Burns are less rare than you might think. Beware of picnics in the countryside: if he gets burned, your Dachshund can go berserk.

Following a sudden physiological weakening (collapse) that follows the destruction of the epidermis, burns are dangerous and extremely painful, and can even cause your Dachshund’s death.

Burns are divided into 3 categories according to their severity:

first-degree burns
second-degree burns
third-degree burns
First-degree burns
These are the mildest: the skin is reddened, and the burn evolves into an erythematous inflammation; your dog experiences a painful sensation.

Second-degree burns
These are characterized by the formation of small blisters which, when pierced, release a serous liquid and give rise to small wounds.

These will heal.

Third-degree burns
These are the most serious.

In these cases, tissue is charred, followed by the formation of a crust that will disappear as the wound heals.

What to do in the event of a burn
Start by blocking the Dachshund’s jaw with a stick.

Baths in 3% boric solution and the application of absorbent powders heal burns.

As first aid, apply :

olive oil
lanolin or ichthyol ointment
beaten egg white
animal fat, etc.
Puncture the blisters to draw out the liquid, applying an antiseptic-based powder to the injured area.

Never forget to start by disinfecting the wound with absorbent powders.

In the case of burns caused by a chemical substance, you can neutralize its action by using :
alkaline substances, if the burn is caused by acids
or acidic preparations, if the burn is caused by alkalis.

Foreign bodies

Puppies are the ones who need the most attention.

The list of dangerous products is long, and impossible to enumerate. Let’s take a few examples: dressmaker’s needles can stick in the throat or tongue.

The dog will howl and drool; it won’t be able to eat.

A puppy, or even an adult dog, may inadvertently swallow a piece of rubber toy, a peach pit, a chop bone, a stone or a cork.

Don’t try to intervene yourself, as you could be bitten and do more harm than good. Take the animal to your vet.

You’ll be able to tell how serious his condition is if he’s vomiting “yellow” and his abdomen looks painful.

Your vet will do a palpation and X-ray. Depending on the results, he may have to open the stomach or intestines.

Avoid leaving objects lying around that could be swallowed, and teach children to play only harmless games to prevent your dog from ending up on an operating table.